1) Method of Application for doctors

  1. Register with GMC in England.
  2. Complete your English Language (EL) Test and Computer-Based Test (CBT). You don’t need to do this before you apply for a job, but you’ll need to do it before you move. 
  3. Search and Apply for jobs by choosing your application route, whether it’s via NHS Jobs, the NHS’s recruitment website , or an agency.
  4. Have your interview and receive a job offer if your application is successful. 
  5. Apply for your Health and Care Visa.
  6. Book your flights and find somewhere to stay once you’ve arrived in England (your trust or agency will be able to support you with this). 

Eligibility to practice in the UK 


To practice in the UK, you must have, or be eligible to get, registration with the General Medical Council (GMC)

There are two options available to Doctors:

– Acquire a postgraduate qualification that is recognized by the UK GMC.

– Consider doing the Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB) route if you do not have an acceptable postgraduate qualification, however this is not considered as a medical qualification and we would advise you to acquire a more acceptable qualification.

In order to apply for GMC registration, you will need to have both your primary and postgraduate medical qualifications verified by Electric Portfolio of International Credentials (EPIC).

Professional memberships (e.g. MRCEM/FCEM/MRCS/MRCP) are an advantage but are not essential.

You would also need to meet English language requirements before you can work in the UK.

Professional Registration

Meanwhile, if you have met the requirements set down by the GMC, you will be granted registration.

You need to be on the UK medical register before you can do any clinical work or write prescription drugs in the UK.

You must have your registration in place before you start your job.

Find more information on the registration fee.

The process usually takes between one and three months and you should allow yourself plenty of time to complete it.

You will be issued with an online license to practice.

In order to practice in the UK, you will need to obtain GMC registration. The General Medical Council (GMC) is the independent organization that sets standards for medical students and doctors in the UK.

The GMC website has lots of online resources and videos about what to expect when working in the UK which may be helpful.

All doctors working in the UK require GMC registration with a license to practice. More information about how to apply can be found on the website. It is important to start the application process in good time before you plan to enter the country as it can take up to 3 months when applying directly.

If you undertook your primary medical qualification in a country other than the United Kingdom, as part of your application enquiries the GMC will confirm the English Language Competency that they expect you to demonstrate. This may require you to undertake one or more of the following; (1) International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and/or Professional Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) Exam. See the GMC website following for more information.

2) CV Presentation

  1. Strictly maintain no more than a 2 page CV
  2. Be clear and concise
  3. Avoid a fancy CV
  4. Use good font size
  5. let it not be crowded (do not try to fit in everything in)
  6. Do not add your picture, age, or any unnecessary details.
  7. put in your Full name, email address, phone number and address.
  8. Do not put contacts of your references, rather write ”Reference available upon request”
  9. Do not write personal summary or autobiography rather write a good short personal statement.
  10. Use Bullet points
  11. Use a pdf
  12. do not send links to your cv to the employer instead upload or email your cv.

3)VISA APPLICATION PROCESS > UK Healthcare Worker Visa

Overviews: https://www.gov.uk/health-care-worker-visa

Documents you’ll need to apply

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

  • your certificate of sponsorship reference number – your employer will give you this
  • proof of your knowledge of English (IELTS)
  • a valid passport or other document that shows your identity and nationality
  • your job title and annual salary
  • your job’s occupation code
  • the name of your employer and their sponsor license number – this will be on your certificate of sponsorship

Ask your employer for a copy of your certificate of sponsorship if you do not have one.

Other documents you might need

Depending on your circumstances, you might be asked to provide:

You’ll need a blank page in your passport for your visa if you’re:

  • from outside the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
  • from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein but do not have a biometric passport with a chip in it

If your documents are not in English or Welsh you’ll also need to provide a certified translation.

Criminal record certificate

You’ll need to provide a criminal record certificate if you’re applying from outside the UK, unless your job is in one of the following occupation codes:

  • biological scientists and biochemists (2112)
  • physical scientists (2113)

How to Apply for Jobs in the NHS

Read More

4) Lists of companies currently offering visa sponsorship to doctors

  1. NHS England
  2. Westmidlandsdeanery NHS
  3. Doctors Relocate
  4. NHS England—-NHS International GP Recruitment
  5. BMA
  6. National Locums
  7. General Medical Council— Update GMC
  8. ID Medicals
  9. Royal College of General Practitioners
  10. Royal College Of Surgeons Of England
  11. NLAG
  12. NHS Employers
  13. IMG Connect
  14. Medecho Medical Recruitment Specialist
  15. Oakleaf Recruitment
  16. Medacs Healthcare
  17. University Hospital Of Bristol & Weston
  18. Healthcare UK
  19. Doctor Army Medical Services UK
  20. HCPC
  21. UK MED

Job Websites

  1. Simply Hired
  2. Visa Job HQ
  3. Job Visa
  4. NHS Jobs
  5. HealthJobsUK
  6. BMJ Careers
  7. Jobs.ac.uk
  8. Indeed
  9. Reed
  10. Totaljobs
  11. CV-Library
  12. Guardian Jobs
  13. LinkedIn

OTHER UK Recruitment Agencies for Medical Jobs

  • BMJ Careers
  • NHS Professionals
  • Medacs Healthcare
  • HCL Workforce Solutions
  • ID Medical
  • Global Medics
  • Pulse Jobs
  • Locum People
  • MediLink Consulting
  • Athona Ltd

A list of BSW practices that hold Visa Sponsorship Licences, and their contact details are as follows: